Saturday, September 11, 2010

family values craft...

In my blog stalking I came across the cutest idea for a sign with words to describe your families values. Kierste over at Brown Paper Packages made a darling version that I then modified to meet my own needs.

I started out by shopping around at our local thrift stores for a canvas. I knew I could find one cheaper than buying one new. I found that you do NOT want to buy "artwork" at our local Goodwill. The cheapest one I found there was $29 for an 11x14 ugly piece of work! I was able to find this one for $5 at DART. It measures 15x20 inches. Wal-mart also carried blank canvas.

When I got it home I painted is all black!
Then I started picking out all of the papers I wanted to use. They don't all necessarily match, but I think they all coordinate. Some of the paper I used was from a 6x6 fat book, so my top strip measures 2 1/2 x 12 and the short strips are 2 1/2 x 6.



After I knew where I wanted each of them I started modge podging them down.Be generous with your modge podge! You want to make sure that each strip is stuck down well. Continue to lay out and stick down all of your strips. Once there all down, do another quick coat over the top just for good measure!




Then let you canvas dry. I was somewhat impatient with mine and only let it dry for about 30 minutes or so! While it was drying I chose my words and cut my vinyl (I used black). I used a variety of fonts, but they all fit in the 2 1/2 x 6 inch strip of paper.

I also added some little vinyl flowers to jazz it up. Then I applied all of the vinyl and it was done! I love how it turned out. I put it on a wall that the kids see while sitting at the kitchen table. I hope to make these words a part of our family discussions during dinner.


If you don't have access to a piece of canvas a wide piece of wood would work great for this project too. Also if you don't have access or don't want to use vinyl, you can print from your home printer onto your scrapbook paper or use paint pens to write your words.


No comments:

Post a Comment