Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wooden Nativity Puzzle

I know it's the end of September and I'm posting a Christmas craft, but there is only so much time!! A few weeks ago I went out perusing some local garage sales and hit the jackpot-a scroll saw!! I've been wanting to do some woodworking for sometime, but the investment was a little too great. But going in used makes it much more economical.

Last week I came across this post on LaPaz Home Learning. I saw her nativity  puzzle and fell in love! I knew it would be a tough first project, but jumped in with both feet. I decided to take her project and simplify it. I took out angel and small pieces near the star.


I happened to have a pieces of MDF I had purchased out of the junk bin for $1 at Home Depot. Theresa at LaPaz used real wood and stained her pieces. I love the look of the wood stained, but I just wanted to be able to try it and use what I already had on hand.  I eyeballed the pattern onto the wood. It probably would have been easier to use carbon paper or even cut the pattern out and trace it, next time!


All cut out:

Now sanded:


And Painted:

I started another wooden nativity today, stay tuned to see how that one turned out!


I'm so excited to make these and give them to my family & close friends as gifts this year. We'll see how many I can get done!!


I see a lot more wood in my future!

6 comments:

  1. Can the pieces of the creche be rotated at different angles to give it an even more 3D feel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, each piece can be pushed out a little, but not rotated. I think I might try and get some thicker wood and see how that works next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice,good job. what kind of paint is that? white with a grey over top?

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] 3. presepe puzzle in legno, tutorial di http://www.ldscraftproject.com/ [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] 3. presepe puzzle in legno, tutorial di http://www.ldscraftproject.com/ [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were looking for a Christmas gift for our Sunbeam class that went along with the lesson. In our search on the internet and stores we have seen a lot of things but just too pricey for us. Then I remembered years ago of a wooden puzzle from Women's Day or Family Circle but it would be too much work for this year, but maybe for next year. You can not imagine how excited I am with this simpler version of the nativity and where I found it (ldscraft project.com). Wow can't wait to have time to really look at this site. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete