Sunday, September 9, 2012

Quick and easy picnic blanket (from jeans)


I've had this big box of tired, worn out, or ill fitting jeans for a few years. Shameful I know, but they were in the garage and-out of sight, out of mind. Well 2 of our kids just started soccer season which means 2 practices a week and 2 games a week. We needed a new blanket to take with us!

I've made jean quilts before and they are  along and tedious process getting all of your pieces cut to the same size and organized. Then pieces the squares, putting a backing on and then tying it.


For this blanket I took the jeans and cut the leg off as close to the crotch as possible. Then I cut down one seam (or tore) to the bottom of the leg and cut off the bottom seam. This left me with large pieces of jean. I squared them off and set off to sew them together. I matched up right sides together and sewed together until I had a length I was happy with. Then did several more strips. With the large jean pieces it only took 3 or 4 lengths to get it long enough. Once my strips were done I sewed them together.


All done! In all it took me less than an hour and I have a free, durable picnic quilt.

Many times we get pizza and a movie on the weekends. The kids like to eat it picnic style while watching the movie (We got The Lorax this weekend). This was another great use for the jean quilt and it can easily be thrown in the wash if there are any spills!

No comments:

Post a Comment